Saturday, May 12, 2007

Back in black...

Besides being one of my FAVORITE AC/DC tunes, I've noticed a new trend developing in golf club design, and it's one that I really like...A LOT....almost enough to get me to stray from my unnatural devotion to Callaway Golf clubs...

I first "strayed" a couple of years ago when I happened to meet " Dr. Jim" Yeh, the creative genius behind Alpha Golf Clubs, one of the most popular brands on the Long-Drive circuit, when I noticed an ad for the Alpha v5 driver...

Curious, I purchased one of the heads in a 12degree configuration, and built a club with it using the Aldila NV-Orange shaft with a half inch cut down to increase the control....FUN friggin' club, I might add, but it makes a RACKET when you hit it....I use it as my backup driver when my confidence in my Callaway EFT Fusion wanes (which hasn't been waning in awhile, so the Alpha is upstairs gathering dust in the corner of my office.), but it LOOKS sweet...it's got a tough, all black finish, INCLUDING the face of the club, which is REALLY convenient for seeing where the impact point of the ball was...

I found myself getting weird feelings of interest this morning
when I was skimming through GolfWeek magazine, and found a new TaylorMade R7 SuperQuad ad, and started getting unfaithful thoughts towards my Callaway EFT Fusion driver....

So, to make "those" thoughts go away, I wrote an e-mail to Callaway Golf's customer service department, and pitched 'em an idea for an all-black themed driver (including the face) that would celebrate their 25th anniversary AND Gary Player's 50th appearance at The Masters tournament this year....I called it the "Black Knight" model FT-25...

Does anyone happen to know what DAY is considered Callaway's 25th anniversary? I know that they started in 1982 (I was in college, and I remember the "Hickory Stick" ads I used to see at the back of the golf magazines - those musta been the days when Mr. Callaway was selling 'em outta the trunk of his car), and this marks their 25th anniversary...but WHEN???

No comments: