Friday, November 10, 2006

This is becoming an obsession....

I dunno - there's just something really compelling about this contest to name the Course No. 7 at St. Andrews....

Maybe it's because I was born on the 7th (September), maybe because 7 has been a lucky number for me throughout my life (along with the number 23 - both of which were coincidentally worn by two of the greatest athletes in their fields, namely John Elway of the Denver Broncos and Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls, respectively, but I digress...), maybe it's because the winner gets to go play the course after they win the contest and it's been a lifelong goal/dream of mine to take my Mom back to her hometown of Edinburgh, maybe it's just a really cool idea to open it up to the rest of the world... I dunno...

I awakened this morning, head spinning about my preparations for the Golfweek Golfest Show down in Scottsdale, and all of a sudden, ideas for naming this course just started FLYING about my imagination at 5AM...that's just WEIRD!!!

In any event, here are TODAY's submissions:

  • Piper's Moor or Pipers Moor
  • Piper's Glen or Pipers Glen
  • Tartans Brae or Tartan's Brae
  • Tartans Glen or Tartan's Glen
  • Tartan's Moor or Tartan Moor
  • Piper's Bluff
  • Piper's Brae or Pipers Brae
  • Misty Isle Links
  • Kenross Mhor
  • Craigduff Brae
  • Taylor Brae
  • Seachdad Mhor

VOLUME II for the day was:

  • Tyreboir Brae
    Thrill
    Thistle Dubh
    Tayboir Mor
    Tayboir
Sigh - I hope they announce the winner right after December 1, because this is just nuts....

Off to go finalize my packing and preparations...wish us luck this weekend!!!

2 comments:

Patricia Hannigan said...

Damn Ely...howja come up with all those good names? I was supposed to win the contest. LOL

TartanGolfGrips DotCom said...

Hi Patricia - Don't be shy - show us your stuff! (I mean, the names YOU suggested - what did you THINK I meant...!)

Once you find the Scottish Gaelic/English dictionary, it's all good...

I think the St. Andrews people are adding more information periodically to their "how the courses got their names" page...they were indicating that all of the existing courses first initials spell out R JONES, and they indicated that they need a "T" name to spell out R T JONES - hence all my "T" names this evening...

Didja catch the "Thistle Dubh" joke??? (This'll do....) Cute, huh?