Wednesday, February 07, 2007

George Lopez at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am


Had to copy this article from this morning's Ventura County Star, written by Bob Buttitta, our local golf writer extraordinaire....it chronicles George Lopez' interest in golf - it's a good one:

Seriously, Lopez loves golf

Popular comedian, who didn't take up the sport until he was a young adult, is humbled by playing with top professionals

By Bob Buttitta, bbuttitta at VenturaCountyStar dot com
February 7, 2007

Growing up in San Fernando, comedian George Lopez couldn't find many people in his neighborhood who cared about golf, never mind someone who played the game.

For much of his adolescent life, Lopez's only exposure to golf was from the two golf clubs lying around his house.

"We had a 3-wood which was there for us to use if we heard a noise outside," Lopez prior to the third round of last month's Bob Hope Chrysler Classic. "And we had a 7-iron, which we used to keep the door shut so the dog would not get out."

Then one day a friend dared Lopez to go with him and play a round of golf. That was 23 years ago. Since then, Lopez, who stars in the ABC sitcom "The George Lopez Show," has been addicted to the sport.

"We had a lime tree, so I would hit (the limes) with the 3-wood," Lopez said. "I would try to hit them to the gas station across the street.

"Golf has become the father I never had. I know that sounds funny, but golf has taught me patience, temperament — that was the hardest one — honesty and a respect I didn't have before I started playing golf. So I know it looks boring, but believe me, there is something there."

Even though he's a television celebrity, Lopez, 45, said it's hard to believe he gets invited to play in events like the Hope.

"For someone who learned golf at a public course, El Cariso in Slymar, to end up being invited to play with the best players in the world and maybe even win a trophy, it's amazing,"Lopez said.

"I'm out here playing with pros like (Oxnard native) Corey Pavin and Justin Leonard and playing with Cheech Marin and Samuel L.Jackson."

This year, Lopez didn't just play in the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, he served as the celebrity host.

After Hope died, the tournament had not had an acutal host, but the tournament committee and Dolores Hope (Bob's widow) decided they needed one. Dolores said she and her husband always liked Lopez and his work, so she asked him to carry the torch.

"Dolores has been so kind to me since the first time I met her in 2004 and that Bob was a fan of my comedy is validation," Lopez said. "It would be like if the Pope sent you a letter and said: ‘You're a good Catholic. Signed the Pope.'

"I have the support of the Hope family along with the Chrysler and the Board of Directors. They have been here when Bob was around and they ran the tournament with him and it's been great because they have been very supportive of this."

When he accepted the job as host, Lopez promised the Hope Board of Directors and Chrysler that he would increase the celebrity level.

This year he got heavy hitters Andy Garcia, Huey Lewis and Clint Eastwood to play. It was the first time in 14 years Eastwood played in the tournament.

"I've brought a higher-profile celebrity and I think that's what Bob did so well," Lopez said.

"As long as I'm the host of the tournament, I will continue to really work on it all year and not just, you know, just a couple of months before the tournament. This is an all-year job for me."

Another reason Lopez was the perfect fit to host is that, like Hope, he takes the game seriously.

Unlike some celebrities, who play in events like the Hope and the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am just for the exposure, Lopez is serious about his game.

"I have the (TV) series, but I play a lot," Lopez said. "I have a net upstairs (in his office on the set) with 200 Titleist balls, so I go up there and hit balls.

"I am never without a club. I watch television with a club in my hand."

Lopez is a member at two golf clubs — Lakeside Golf Club in Toluca Lake and Saticoy Country Club in Somis.

Lopez said he loves playing at Saticoy, a course most people in the golf community consider one of the finest in Southern California.

"I wish I could play there more. It's a gem, just a beautiful golf course," Lopez said of Saticoy. "Cheech was a member there and he asked me to come out there and play with him.

"Once I did, I decided I wanted to be a member there, too. It's a hard golf course, but I like that about it. It really challenges you."

Saticoy is known for its lightning-quick greens that feature subtle, yet severe breaks.

Lopez received a lesson in how tough the greens at Saticoy are when he played there with Marin for the first time.

"Cheech was telling me about the greens, but I'm a pretty good putter," Lopez said. "I hit a putt and all he said was, ‘Bye.'

"I asked what he meant, and he told me to watch. The ball just kept rolling and rolling and it eventually rolled off the green."

Lopez, who plays to a 14 handicap, will be playing in this week's AT&T National Pro-Am at Pebble Beach. He owns a house off the 15th fairway at Pebble Beach.

Pebble is the site of his greatest golf achievement, finishing third in the 2004 event while playing with Jesper Parnevik.

While he enjoys both celebrity events, he said they are different.

"This (the Hope) is more fun, while AT&T is more serious golf," Lopez said. "I love playing both of them."

Copyright 2007, Ventura County Star. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: